James Alexander Skuse

M, b. 4 July 1883, d. 29 June 1966

James William Skuse

M, b. 1879, d. 6 August 1916
  • James William Skuse was born in 1879 in Gloucestershire, England. His birth was registered in the Barton Regis District of Briston in June 1879.
  • He was the son of Henry Skuse and Margaret Eliza Fleming.
  • James William Skuse immigrated to Australia between 1880 and 1881. He came with his parents from England.
  • He appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Goombungee. He was a farmer.
  • He began military service on 16 July 1915 in Brisbane. He was 36 years, 4 months old, born Bristol England and gave his father Henry of Goombungee as his next of kin. He was an unmarried labourer. He had a dark complexion, blue eyes and black hair.
  • James William Skuse was killed in action on 6 August 1916 in France.

John Henry Skuse

M, b. 5 March 1881, d. 6 September 1950

Children of John Henry Skuse and Wilhelmina Dorothea Margaret Lucht

Keith Skuse

M, b. 15 February 1930, d. 15 February 1930
  • Keith Skuse was born on 15 February 1930 in Queensland.
  • Keith Skuse died on 15 February 1930 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of Edward Irons Skuse and Charlotte Tereza Lucht.
  • Keith Skuse was buried on 16 February 1930 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery.

Leslie George Skuse

F, b. 1916, d. 1976

Leslie Mervyn Skuse

M, b. 17 November 1913, d. 1978
  • Leslie Mervyn Skuse was born on 17 November 1913 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of John Henry Skuse and Wilhelmina Dorothea Margaret Lucht.
  • Leslie Mervyn Skuse enlisted in the Australian Army on 16 May 1942 in Brisbane He was living in Toowoomba at the time he enlisted and gave his next of kin as Rose Skuse. He was discharged on 4 Jan 1946 with the rank of Gunner in the 23rd Australian Heavy A A Bty.
  • Leslie Mervyn Skuse died in 1978 in Queensland.

May Skuse

F, b. circa 1923, d. 1923

Norma Aileen Skuse

F, b. circa 1923, d. December 1923
  • Norma Aileen Skuse was born circa 1923.
  • She was the daughter of George Stanley Skuse and Alice Howard.
  • Norma Aileen Skuse died in December 1923 in Queensland.
  • She was buried on 10 December 1923 in Toowong Cemetery. She is buried with her parents.

Pearlie May Skuse

F, b. 1916
  • Pearlie May Skuse was born in 1916 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of Edward Irons Skuse and Charlotte Tereza Lucht.
  • At the age of 19 years, Pearlie May Skuse married Frederick William John BURGE in 1935 in Queensland.

Roy Evan Skuse

M, b. 6 January 1918, d. 1982
  • Roy Evan Skuse was born on 6 January 1918 in Toowoomba.
  • He was the son of John Henry Skuse and Wilhelmina Dorothea Margaret Lucht.
  • Roy Evan Skuse began military service on 19 August 1940 in Dalby. He was living in Moola at the time he enlisted and gave his next of kin as Lillian Skuse. He was discharged on 28 Jul 1944 with the rank of Sergeant in the 25th Battalion.
  • Roy Evan Skuse died in 1982 in Queensland.

Stanley Edward Skuse

M, b. 9 March 1915, d. 8 February 1994
  • Stanley Edward Skuse was born on 9 March 1915 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of Edward Irons Skuse and Charlotte Tereza Lucht.
  • Stanley Edward Skuse was a witness in the inquest into the death of Bernice Isabel Skuse on 9 October 1938 in Gomoran, Queensland. Below are three oaths sword at the inquest:-
    EDWARD IRONS SKUSE on oath states:-
    I am a widower, and live with my family at Gomoran near Goombungee. Bernice Isabell Skuse was my daughter. She was 20 years and about 4 months at the time of her death. My wife died in April 1937. Since my wife's death, the girl looked after the home for me. I have 5 sons. I knew Norman Kenneth McDowell for about four years prior to his death. I know that at the time of his death he was employed by Mr McDonald, Goombungee-Haden Road. Prior to this he used to work for Raftery and Woods, who both live in the direction of my home.
    My daughter and McDowell were keeping company for some time, probably getting on for twelve months. McDowell came to my home to see my daughter. As a rule he came on Sunday night and Wednesday night, not always Wednesday but one day in the week. My daughter attended dances and other amusements with McDowell, not alone with him, but in company with other friends. My daughter and McDowell became engaged somewhere about 3 months prior to her death. I did not know of their having had any quarrels prior to becoming engaged. I heard on the Sunday morning, the date of my daughter's death that she had broken off the engagement. My son Stanley told me that. He said also that 'Bernice wouldn't see Monday morning'. He said they were at the Haden dance on the night before, and that McDowell had made a threat, and had afterwards apologised to my son.
    On the night of my daughter's death, she and other members of the family and a youth named Griffin were in the kitchen. After tea we remained in the kitchen for quite a while. I went to bed about 7.30 or 7.45 pm. My son and daughter and Griffin remained in the kitchen after I had left. I do not remember my sons leaving the kitchen and going to bed. After I had been in bed for some time, I was aroused by a noise. I had been asleep. When I heard the noise, I got out of bed and went towards the kitchen. There is a 10 or 12 ft verandah extending along the kitchen from the rear door of the house. At my bedroom door I was met by Griffin. I do not remember whether I spoke to him. I ran into the kitchen and found the place in darkness. I went back to my own room and lighted a lamp in my own room, and returned to the kitchen. I took the light from my own bedroom. On entering the kitchen, I saw my daughter on the floor, face downwards, six or seven foot from the kitchen door. I grabbed hold of her arm, and saw that it was too late - she was gone. I went to Mr Berge at the Sunnyside Hotel. Gomoran, and told him what had happened, he telephoned Sergeant Martin at Goombungee. I saw Sergeant Martin later, and later still I saw Const Reilly, Det Elford and Det Nesbitt. I did not see McDowell about my home that night. On the following morning, in company with Const Rielly, I saw the body of McDowell in the paddock at the rear of my home. I saw a single-barrelled shotgun lying on the ground close to McDowell's body. I saw that portion of McDowell's head was blown away.
    I have known the youth Griffin only as a friend of my sons, only a couple of months. He recently arrived at my house in the company with one of my sons who had been away working, and at the time of the death of my daughter and McDowell, Griffin was staying at my place. Griffin and my daughter were not close friends. There was nothing between them more than the fact that he was staying at the place as a visitor. There was nothing that could cause McDowell to be jealous of their association. The only conclusion to which I can come is that McDowell did away with the girl through pure jealousy and without a doubt, following the shooting of the girl he went to the paddock and shot himself. I would not know McDowell's handwriting. I have never seen it. I am quite sure that there is no other person associated with my daughter's death other than McDowell.

    STANLEY LAWRENCE SKUSE on oath states:
    I am a single man, 23 years of age, and am at present residing with my father at Gomoran near Goombungee. Bernice Isobell Skuse is my sister. I knew Norman Kenneth McDowell. I had known him for several years.
    During that time he had worked for a man named Raftery at Gomoran, also for Woods at Gomoran, and for some time immediately prior to his death he was working for McDonald, on Goombungee-Haden road. I knew that he was keeping company with my sister for some time, for about 18 months, to my knowledge. They were going together, and they broke it off, and for about 18 months before my sister's death they were keeping company. I have been away in the country working, for about 3 years, coming home occasionally. During the occasions I was at home, I saw McDowell visiting my home. He came there to see my sister. I was home about 3 weeks before my sister's death. I think it was just when I came home that I heard McDowell and my sister were engaged. John Griffin came home with me on that occasion. He was at my home on the night of 9th October 1938, and is still there.
    From the time I returned home up till the date of my sister's death, I attended two dances with her. McDowell was present at both those dances. On the night prior to her death, that was a Saturday night, I attended a dance at the home of people named Smith at Boodua. I had attended a dance at Haden on the previous night that is the Friday night. My sister and McDowell were at that dance also. During the progress of the dance at Haden, my sister asked me to speak to McDowell, as he had made threats to her. She said he had told her she would not see Monday morning. I did speak to McDowell. I said I wanted an explanation as to the threats he made against Bernice, and he was very sorry for what he had said, and he apologised to me, and in my presence he told my sister he was very sorry for what he had said, and to take no notice.
    McDowell was a saxophone player, and played for the different dances around about the district. He was playing the saxophone at that particular dance on the Friday night. After the dance my sister and McDowell and I left in company, and McDowell parted with us at the entrance to McDonald's place, where he was employed. My sister and I came home together. That was the last time I saw McDowell alive. On the Sunday night I was in company with my father and brother and my sister and Griffin in the kitchen of our home, after tea. My father went to bed about 7.30 pm. I was not last in the kitchen. I retired at about 8 pm. One of my brothers, Griffin, and my sister Bernice were then in the kitchen. When I left they were all sitting and talking. When I left the kitchen and went into the house to go to bed, I did not see anybody about.
    After going to bed, I heard a terrible noise, which I thought sounded like a sheet of iron loose on the house. I gotout of bed, and met my father in the hallway, and went into the kitchen with him. I saw Griffin at that time. He was in the hallway too. The kitchen was in darkness then. We had a light in the kitchen, which was taken out of one of the bedrooms. In the kitchen I saw my sister lying on the floor, face downward, in a pool of blood. I lifted her head, and was satisfied that she was dead. My father then went to the Sunnyside Hotel and communicated with Sergt Martin of the Goombungee Police. I later saw Sergt Martin and Const Reilly of Goombungee, and later still saw Det Elford and Det Nesbitt. I remained there throughout the night. A search was made throughout the night for McDowell, for the reason that the Police officers returned to the house at intervals through the night. On the following morning at daybreak, I saw the body of McDowell in the paddock at the rear of my home. I was in company with Const Reilly. I saw a single barrelled shotgun grasped in McDowell's left hand. I saw that portion of his head was blown away.
    I would not know McDowell's handwriting. WITNESS LOOKS AT PHOTOGRAPHS - 'A' FOR IDENTIFICATION. My sister is in three of the photographs now shown to me, one of the others is of her alone, and the other is of my mother. Since I returned home in company with Griffin, I have been in close association with Griffin. There was nothing more between him and my sister than the fact he was staying at our house. McDowell would not have any cause for jealousy through the associations of my sister and Griffin. I know that McDowell used to ride his pony to my place when he came to see my sister. I saw his pony tied to a tree in a paddock opposite our home, the morning following the shooting. From my knowledge, and from what I have learned following the shooting, I am of the opinion that the whole thing was brought about by jealousy on the part of McDowell. There was no cause for such jealousy on his part. I am satisfied that McDowell shot my sister, and afterwards went into the paddock behind our place and shot himself.

    JOHN BERNARD GRIFFIN on oath states:-
    I am a single man, at present residing at the Skuses' home at Gomoran, and have been residing there since 20 Sept1938. Prior to that date I was employed near Kumbia, in company with the previous witness, Stanley Skuse. I was employed by my brother at that place; Stanley Skuse was employed at the same place. I had never been to Skuse's home prior to 20 September 1938. I knew Bernice Isobell Skuse - I did not know her prior to 20 September 1938.
    I knew Norman Kenneth McDowell. I had met him for the first time at the rodeo ball at Goombungee on 24September, I think it was. I met him at different times after that, at about three dances. Bernice Skuse was in attendance at those dances also. Stanley Skuse was at each of those dances. McDowell was playing the saxophone at those dances. After the dances, I went home with Stanley and Bernice Skuse in Sharp's truck, and from two of the dances McDowell rode his horse home to where he was working. One night McDowell came home with Stanley Skuse and Bernice Skuse and myself, from Haden, as far as the place where he was working. McDowell visited the girl on several occasions since I have been staying at Skuse's. He was quite friendly. There was no reason for him to be jealous of myself and the girl.
    I remember 9 October 1938. On that night after tea, the girl and her father and brothers and myself were in the kitchen. They retired to bed at intervals, leaving myself and the girl in the kitchen. It’s about 8.45 pm I am sitting down in the kitchen reading a newspaper, the girl was standing alongside me, the distance between us would be approx 4 inches. She was also reading portion of the newspaper. The paper was folded into two different portions, I was reading one and she was reading the other. While we were so engaged, I heard a scream from the girl. She turned and looked facing the kitchen door, which opens on to a verandah, and then screamed. I sat dumbfounded for a moment. I heard a shot and smelled gunpowder. Bernice fell on the floor beside me. There had been a light burning in the kitchen; it was blown out by the shot. Following that, I ran outside, but could not see anybody there.
    I went into the house and told the girl's father what had happened. I returned to the kitchen with the father and Stanley Skuse. A lamp was lighted in the kitchen, and I saw Bernice was lying on the floor of the kitchen, she was lying in a pool of blood. Stanley picked her up and had a look at her, I also looked at her and saw that her face was half blown away. She was dead then. I was present later when an examination was made of the kitchen wall.
    I saw a number of pellet shots in the wall in a direct line with the kitchen door and the spot where Bernice was standing at the time she was shot. At the time the shooting took place, I was sitting down, and Bernice was standing a short distance away from me. I am satisfied that the shot was fired from the kitchen verandah, immediately outside the kitchen door. The person who fired the shot must have moved away quickly; otherwise I would have seen the person when I went out. I later saw the Goombungee Police, also Det Elford and Det Nesbitt.
    I remained about the house till daylight. I never saw the body of McDowell. I think the shooting was the result of jealousy on the part of McDowell. If he was jealous of me, he had no reason to be jealous of my association with the girl. I am satisfied that it was McDowell who shot Bernice Skuse, and from what I have learned, I am satisfied that he afterwards went into the paddock at the rear of the place and shot himself.
    The following is a copy of the suicide note left by McDowell.
    To all my friends who thought I was happy. Dear friends,
    No doubt you will think what I have done is an awful (sic) thing. But there isn't anyone in this world who realizes what Bernice meant to me. If we weren't engaged and this happened it would be different but no-one understands just what an Orphan has to go through before he or she gets this far. Lots of people will say I'm insane but that's not the case at all. I just can't go on living this life and thinking of Bernice in someone's arms. If Bernice had been let go her own way it would have been different but she always took notice of others. I have nothing and no one in the world to share my----or else perhaps I could go to them and forget. No one realizes what it's like to face a world like this without parents and I've been through Hell on Earth since a baby. I thought that when I had to work for my living that this would change but instead I still continue (just worry and disappointment) so I have decided that this world holds nothing for me. I'd be prepared to battle on and work day and night if I only had Bernice to care for. I am sorry for Ted and all his children and I realize what Bernice means to him and his children but I just can't go alone. I'd be happy if I thought Bernice and I would be together forever so I'm going to take her with me if it’s possible.
    Hope you will all understand this and remember I've been absolutely driven to this. Well, I will say goodbye to you all now and I hope that none of you will blame either of us because it is just Fate. I'd love to be buried somewhere near Bernice but of course I won't be able to argue where I'm put. Sell all my things and that will payfor my expense, if I win anything in the casket give it to Ted Skuse for his family.
    Again Adieu. If only I could have Bernice and be happy, just someone to have an interest in and someone to care for. I loved Bernice more than words can say. I'd like this letter to be printed so as everyone will see what life had done for me. Goodbye.
  • Stanley Edward Skuseenlisted in the Royal Australian Air Force on 18 May 1942 in Brisbane He gave his father Edward as his next of kin and was living in Goombungee at the time he enlisted. He was discharged on 19 Dec 1945 with the rank of Corporal in the 3rd RD (REC SQ) EX 6 ACS.
  • Stanley Edward Skuse married Dorothea Fay Oliver, daughter of Joseph (George) Oliver and Lucy Blumke, circa 1943.
  • Stanley Edward Skuse appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1949 living at Haden. He was a barman.
  • Stanley Edward Skuse died on 8 February 1994 at age 78.
  • He was buried in Buderim Lawn Cemetery.

Thelma Skuse

F, b. 1914

Thomas Skuse

M, b. circa 1879, d. 1956
  • Thomas Skuse was born circa 1879. he was the son of Robert Skuse and Betsy Fisher.
  • Thomas Skuse married Caroline Elizabeth Kopp in 1902 in Queensland.
  • Thomas Skuse died in 1956 in Queensland.

Children of Thomas Skuse and Caroline Elizabeth Kopp

Unnamed Skuse

M, b. 1889, d. 1889

William Charles Skuse

M, b. 1903, d. 1958

William Sercombe Skuse

M, b. circa 1923, d. 1923

Mary Slade

F, b. 1786, d. 11 March 1868

Grave of Daniel Eyes and his second wife Mary Higgins.
  • Mary Slade was born in 1786 in Somerset, England.
  • At the age of 21 years, Mary Slade married Henry Gill in January 1807 in Somerset, England. They had a family of eight children in the 14 years of their marriage.
  • In April 1821,her husband, Henry Gill died at age 36.
  • At the age of 40 years, Mary Slade married Peter Higgins on 26 December 1826 in Somerset, England. They had three children, Sydney, Angelina and Rhoda.
  • Mary Slade and Peter Higgins immigrated to New Zealand on 24 September 1841. Mary 48, and 36 year old Peter,'s children Sydney 15, Angelina 14, and Rhoda 10 travelled with them on the Mary Ann along with Mary's grandaughter Selina Gill/Higgins aged 6. Also on board were Daniel Eyles and his family.
  • On 12 December 1847,her husband, Peter Higgins died at age 42. He was killed while felling a tree on his property at Spring Grove.
  • At the age of 62 years, Mary Slade married Daniel Eyles, son of Charles Eyles and Hannah Phillips, on 4 February 1848 in New Zealand.
  • Mary Slade died on 11 March 1868 in New Zealand. The "Nelson Evening News" reported:- " 11 Mar, at Richmond, after 3 mths severe suffering, Mrs Eyles, 84 yrs."
  • She was buried in Richmond Cemetery. Daniel Eyles is buried in the same plot.

Child of Mary Slade and Henry Gill

Rebecca Slade

F, b. 29 September 1852, d. 1900
  • Rebecca Slade was born on 29 September 1852 in Biereton, Buckinghamshire, England. She was the daughter of James Slade and Elizabeth Jefery.
  • At the age of 20 years and 7 days, Rebecca Slade married William George Cooper on 6 October 1872 in Buckinghamshire. Rebecca, 21 was the daughter of James Slade and William, 37 the son of Michael Cooper.
  • Rebecca Slade and William George Cooper immigrated to Brisbane on 29 December 1874. William, aged 38 and Rebecca aged 22 travelled on the Indus which sailed from London on 13 Sep 1874. With them was their one year old son William.
  • Rebecca Slade and William Paton became partners circa 1878. It appears they were from the same area in Buckinghamshire and most likely knew each other before immigrating to Queensland. Their first child Benjamin was born in 1879. Rebecca and William finally married in 1890.
  • At the age of 37 years, 9 months and 28 days, Rebecca Slade married William Paton on 27 July 1890 in Queensland. Rebecca was shown as Rebecca Cooper.
  • Rebecca Slade died in 1900 in Queensland.

Children of Rebecca Slade and William George Cooper

Children of Rebecca Slade and William Paton

Edith Ann Slater

F, b. 6 February 1889, d. 18 February 1889
  • Edith Ann Slater was born on 6 February 1889 in Queensland. Edith was a twin to William Henry.
  • She was the daughter of Henry Slater and Elizabeth Ann Hooper.
  • Edith Ann Slater died on 18 February 1889 in Queensland.

Florence Slater


Child of Florence Slater and Joseph Ball

Henry Slater


Children of Henry Slater and Elizabeth Ann Hooper

Mary Jane (Jane) Slater

F, b. 16 June 1885
  • Mary Jane (Jane) Slater was born on 16 June 1885 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of Henry Slater and Elizabeth Ann Hooper.
  • At the age of 19 years, 11 months and 22 days, Mary Jane (Jane) Slater married Percy Arthy on 7 June 1905 in Queensland.

Children of Mary Jane (Jane) Slater and Percy Arthy

William Henry Slater

M, b. 6 February 1889, d. 6 February 1889
  • William Henry Slater was born on 6 February 1889 in Queensland. William was a twin to Edith Ann.
  • William Henry Slater died on 6 February 1889 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of Henry Slater and Elizabeth Ann Hooper.

Robert Henry (Herbert) Slatter

M, b. 18 April 1887, d. 11 February 1888
  • Robert Henry (Herbert) Slatter was born on 18 April 1887 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of Henry Slater and Elizabeth Ann Hooper.
  • Robert Henry (Herbert) Slatter died on 11 February 1888.

Catherine A Slattery

F, b. circa 1870
  • Catherine A Slattery was born circa 1870.

Phyllis Christina Sleyer

F, b. 14 July 1909, d. 16 March 2011

Constance Lilian Sloss

F, b. 1896, d. 8 February 1972
  • Constance Lilian Sloss was born in 1896.
  • She was the daughter of John Sloss and Elizabeth Manly.
  • At the age of 18 years, Constance Lilian Sloss married Robert Williams in 1914 in Queensland.
  • Constance Lilian Sloss died on 8 February 1972 in Queensland.
  • She was buried on 10 February 1972 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery. PLAW3-007-0012.

Daisy Myrtle Sloss

F, b. 1906

Ivy Evelyn Sloss

F, b. 1905

James William Alexander Sloss

M, b. circa 1899, d. 1977
  • James William Alexander Sloss was born circa 1899.
  • He was the son of John Sloss and Elizabeth Manly.
  • James William Alexander Sloss married Jane Anderson in 1931 in Queensland.
  • James William Alexander Sloss died in 1977 in Queensland.