Charles Wallace

M, b. circa 1875
  • Charles Wallace was born circa 1875.
  • Charles Wallace married Annie Unknown circa 1900.
  • Charles Wallace and Annie Unknown appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Queen Street, Crow's Nest. Charles was a saddler.

Edward Brydon Wallace

M, b. 1 February 1891, d. 30 July 1967
  • Edward Brydon Wallace was born on 1 February 1891 in Waldergrave, Roma, Queensland. He was the son of Robert Brydon WALLACE and Elizabeth Ann HALLETT.
  • At the age of 22 years and 25 days, Edward Brydon Wallace married Sarah Astbury, daughter of William Astbury and Mary Ann Benton, on 26 February 1913 in Crow's Nest, Queensland.
  • Edward Brydon Wallace and Sarah Astbury appeared on the Electoral Roll between 1925 and 1943 living at Crow's Nest. Edward was a labourer.
  • On 31 August 1962,his wife, Sarah Astbury died in Crow's Nest, Queensland, at age 77.
  • Edward Brydon Wallace died on 30 July 1967 in Gunnedah, New South Wales, at age 76.
  • Edward was buried in Crow's Nest Cemetery.

Children of Edward Brydon Wallace and Sarah Astbury

John Brydon Wallace

M, b. 1928, d. 22 July 2005

Lennox William Wallace

M, b. 23 September 1914, d. 23 March 2006

Mavis Mary Wallace

F, b. 16 October 1916, d. 19 September 2008
  • Mavis Mary Wallace was born on 16 October 1916 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of Edward Brydon Wallace and Sarah Astbury.
  • Mavis Mary Wallace appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1943 living at Crow's Nest. She carried out home duties and most likely lived with her parents.
  • Mavis Mary Wallace married Jonathan Bertrum Stark, son of Herman Stark and Ellen Cosntance Heath Ranger, circa 1944.
  • Mavis Mary Wallace died on 19 September 2008 in Toowoomba at age 91.
  • Mavis was buried on 25 September 2008 in Toowoomba Garden of Remembrance.

Robert Edward Wallace

M, b. 29 August 1918, d. 26 December 2007

Catherine Wallas

F, b. circa 1815, d. December 1845
  • Catherine Wallas was born circa 1815.
  • Her marriage to William Cossart Second, son of John Cossart Fourth and Elizabeth Crosthwait, was registered in the December 1843 Quarter in Pontefract, Yorkshire West Riding Registration District. She died leaving one child. He then married Elizabeth Edwards, sister of his brother Peter's wife Jane. They had no children.
  • Her death was recorded with the Dartford, Kent, Registration District in the December 1845 Quarter.

Child of Catherine Wallas and William Cossart Second

Archibald Henry Wallis

M, b. 24 August 1867, d. 28 June 1931
  • Archibald Henry Wallis was born on 24 August 1867 in Thwaite, England.
  • At the age of 31 years, Archibald Henry Wallis married Catherine Lucy Blinco, daughter of Alfred William Blinco and Marion Dinah Langton, in 1899 in Queensland.
  • Archibald Henry Wallis died on 28 June 1931 in Toowoomba at age 63.
  • Archibald was buried on 29 June 1931 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery. CE13-18-015-0056.

Eleanor Charlotte Wallis

F, b. 1880, d. 25 September 1934
  • Eleanor Charlotte Wallis was born in 1880. She was the daughter of Edwin Wallis and Alice.
  • Her marriage, at 17 years, to Joseph James Leadbetter was registered in the December 1897 Quarter in Reigate, Surry Registration District.
  • Eleanor Charlotte Wallis and Joseph James Leadbetter immigrated to Brisbane on 2 June 1912. Joseph 41, a gardener, and Eleanor 40, arrived with their children Joseph 11, Murial 13, Kathleen 7, Rowland 5 and Albert 1 arrived on the Perthshire.
  • Eleanor Charlotte Wallis died on 25 September 1934 in Queensland.
  • Eleanor was buried on 26 September 1954 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery. BC2-001-0038.

Children of Eleanor Charlotte Wallis and Joseph James Leadbetter

Hilda Florence Wallis

F, b. 1900, d. 1951
  • Hilda Florence Wallis was born in 1900.
  • At the age of 23 years, Hilda Florence Wallis married Alfred Shaw, son of Alfred Shaw and Delia Clayton, on 22 August 1923 in York, Yorkshire.
  • Hilda Florence Wallis died in 1951.

Mary Wallis

F, b. 1826, d. 18 March 1897
  • Mary Wallis was born in 1826 in Tullamore, Offlay, Ireland. She was the daughter of Thomas Wallis and Mary Flynn.
  • Mary Wallis married James Connors circa 1854 in Tullamore, King's County, Ireland.
  • Mary Wallis and James Connors immigrated to Moreton Bay on 1 August 1855. James 29 and Mary 27 travelled on the Cambodia from Plymouth, Engalnd. James was an agricultural labourer. They were both Catholic and could read but not write. Their first child Michael Cambodia was born during the voyage. After their arrival the family travelled to Noogoonida in the Burnett District where James was employed as a cook for J Goode.
  • Mary Wallis died on 18 March 1897 in Kilkiven, Queensland.
  • Mary was buried in Kilkiven Cemetery.

Children of Mary Wallis and James Connors

Edward Walpole

M, b. 1837, d. 28 April 1926
  • Edward Walpole was born in 1837. He was the son of William Walpole and Mary Thompson.
  • Edward Walpole married Charlotte Murchison circa 1870.
  • Edward Walpole died on 28 April 1926 in Brisbane, Queensland. He was late of Millmeran.
  • Edward was buried in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery.

Children of Edward Walpole and Charlotte Murchison

John Walpole

M, b. 1874, d. May 1942
  • John Walpole was born in 1874.
  • He was the son of Edward Walpole and Charlotte Murchison.
  • At the age of 21 years, John Walpole married Margaret Mary O'Neill in 1895 in Queensland.
  • John was buried on 25 April 1942 in Toowong Cemetery.
  • John Walpole died in May 1942 in Brisbane, Queensland.

John Walpole

M, b. circa 1900
  • John Walpole was born circa 1900.
  • He appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1930 living at Pinelands. He was a labourer working at Wolski's.
  • John Walpole married May Kitson in 1937 in Queensland.
  • John Walpole and May Kitson appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1943 living at Cooyar. John was a mill hand. A Richard Stanley Walpole, perhaps his brother was a labourer at Cooyar.

William John Walpole

M, b. 1872, d. October 1934
  • William John Walpole was born in 1872 in Hamilton, Victoria.
  • He was the son of Edward Walpole and Charlotte Murchison.
  • At the age of 36 years, William John Walpole married Mary Ann Bertha Kretschmann, daughter of Friedrich Kretschmann and Maria Nagel, in 1908 in Queensland.
  • William John Walpole died in October 1934 in Brisbane, Queensland.
  • William was buried on 26 October 1934 in Lutwyche Cemetery.
  • On 1 November 1934, his obituary appeared in The Courier Mail: - “Mr. W. J. Walpole
    Mr. William John Walpole died in Brisbane last week. He was born at Hamilton, Victoria, 62 years ago, being a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Edward Walpole, who settled in the Millmerran district in the early days. The family was well known and respected all over the Darling Downs for their hospitality to the early settlers. The Millmerran township was named by Mr. W. J. Walpole's father, who owned large properties in the district. Of late years Mr. W. J. Walpole resided in Brisbane and South-port. He is survived by his widow, and three daughters. Mrs. C. Baker, Southport, and Misses Isabel and Delta Walpole, Kedron— and one sister and two brothers."

Amy Edith Walsh

F, b. 2 December 1889, d. 11 March 1970
  • Amy Edith Walsh was born on 2 December 1889.
  • At the age of 20 years, 2 months and 21 days, Amy Edith Walsh married Ernest Percival Norgate, son of Jabez Norgate and Lucy Bullard, on 23 February 1910 in New Zealand.
  • On 22 June 1953,her husband, Ernest Percival Norgate died in Opunkae, New Zealand, at age 67. He was a farmer.
  • Amy Edith Walsh died on 11 March 1970 in Opunkae, New Zealand, at age 80.
  • Amy was buried on 13 March 1970 in Opunake General Interdenominational Cemetery.

Children of Amy Edith Walsh and Ernest Percival Norgate

Andrew Walsh

M, b. 1913, d. 3 March 1931
  • Andrew Walsh was born in 1913 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of Edward Joseph Walsh and Catherine Purcill.
  • Andrew Walsh died on 3 March 1931 in Queensland.
  • Andrew was buried on 4 March 1931 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00C-0042.

Ann Walsh

F, b. 1872, d. 1926

Bridget Walsh

F, b. 1839, d. 1 November 1907
  • Bridget Walsh was born in 1839.
  • At the age of 25 years, Bridget Walsh married William Frederick Murphy in 1864 in Queensland.
  • Bridget Walsh and William Frederick Murphy appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Cabarlah. William was a farmer and Bridget carried out home duties. Their daughter Bridget was also living at Cabarlah.
  • On 6 April 1906,her husband, William Frederick Murphy died in Queensland.
  • Bridget Walsh died on 1 November 1907 in Queensland.
  • Bridget was buried on 3 November 1907 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00B-0036.

Children of Bridget Walsh and William Frederick Murphy

Catherine Walsh

F, b. 1835, d. 22 October 1905
  • Catherine Walsh was born in 1835 in County Kildare, Ireland.
  • At the age of 29 years, Catherine Walsh married Bernard McCaul, son of Thomas McCaul and Mary Mullin, on 1 May 1864 in Toowoomba. Bernard was a 24 year old labourer living in Toowoomba. He was born at Derrymagowan, Co Armagh, Ireland and was the son of Thomas McCaul (farmer) and Mary Mullan. Catherine was 28, living in Toowoomba and was born in Co. Kildare, Ireland . Witnesses to the marriage were Patrick Mahoney and Mary Ryan.
  • Catherine Walsh and James McCaul appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Cabarlah. James was a farmer and his mother Catherine carried out home duties.
  • Catherine Walsh died on 22 October 1905 in Queensland.
  • Catherine was buried on 24 October 1905 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00A-0035.

Children of Catherine Walsh and Bernard McCaul

Catherine Walsh

F, b. 1876
  • Catherine Walsh was born in 1876 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of John Walsh and Ellen Long.

Denis Andrew Walsh

M, b. 17 March 1898, d. 1963
  • Denis Andrew Walsh was born on 17 March 1898 in Queensland. He was the son of John Andrew Walsh and Ada Helena Bayntun.
  • At the age of 26 years, Denis Andrew Walsh married Ruth Maud Pettinger, daughter of William Pettinger Brewer and Sarah Jane Page, in 1925 in Queensland.
  • Denis Andrew Walsh died in 1963 in Queensland.

Edward Joseph Walsh

M, b. 1882, d. 21 April 1930
  • Edward Joseph Walsh was born in 1882 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of John Walsh and Ellen Long.
  • Edward Joseph Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with Ellen Long in 1903 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their sons Edward and John Patrick were labourers.
  • Edward Joseph Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with John Walsh and Ellen Long in 1908 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their daughter Ellen carried out home duties and son Edward was a farmer of Geham. Son John Patrick was a labourer.
  • At the age of 29 years, Edward Joseph Walsh married Catherine Purcill in 1911 in Queensland.
  • Edward Joseph Walsh died on 21 April 1930 in Queensland.
  • Edward was buried on 22 April 1930 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00C-0044.

Children of Edward Joseph Walsh and Catherine Purcill

Ellen Walsh

F, b. 1886
  • Ellen Walsh was born in 1886 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of John Walsh and Ellen Long.
  • Ellen Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with John Walsh and Ellen Long in 1908 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their daughter Ellen carried out home duties and son Edward was a farmer of Geham. Son John Patrick was a labourer.

Ellen May Walsh

F, b. 1914

Hannah Walsh

F, b. 1878, d. 26 February 1944
  • Hannah Walsh was born in 1878. She was the daughter of John Walsh and Hanora McLaughlin.
  • At the age of 36 years, Hannah Walsh married John Thomas Creed, son of William Creed and Harriet Page, in 1914 in Queensland.
  • Hannah Walsh died on 26 February 1944 in Queensland.
  • Hannah was buried on 28 February 1944 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery. RC6-002-0054.

Honora Walsh

F, b. 1869

Child of Honora Walsh and William Richard Wilkes

Ivy Jane Walsh

F, b. 8 October 1896, d. February 1926
  • Ivy Jane Walsh was born on 8 October 1896 in Deloraine, Tasmania. She was the daughter of William WALSH and Maria LAREDO.
  • Ivy Jane Walsh married Edgar John Walker, son of George Walker and Louisa Burgess, circa 1920.
  • Ivy Jane Walsh died in February 1926 in Wollery's Mill, Gilderoy, Victoria, at age 29. Her husband Edgarr and two sons Bertie and Kenneth died in a bushfire.
  • On 10 March 1926 "The Argus" newspaper reported on the coroners finding into the deaths of those lost in the bushfires. It read " VICTIMS OF THE FIRES.



    Graphic Evidence at Inquest.


    Stories told at inquests held yesterday by the city coioner (Nr. D. Berriman) into the deaths of the bush fire victims in the Warburton and Powelltown districts told realistically of the suffering and heroism of the survivors. The first inquiry was held in the Yarra Junction Shire Hall in the morning and concerned the deaths of 14 people at Worlley's mill Gilderoy, and two at Powelltown. Women in black wept silently throughout the hearing of the evidence and among the witnesses were Arthur Walker and Harry King the only two survivors of the mill party which sought safety on an old farm and was cut off by the flames. Both men, who have been in the Melbourne Hospital had their right arms in slings. Smoke from fires in the surrounding hills swirled through the hall during the hearing

    In the afternoon the lnquiry at Warburton related to six deaths at Big Pat's Creek including those of the five members of the Donald family. The alarm bell sounded twice while the hearing was in progress and as witnesses gave their evidence they were released to join the volunteers fighting the fires round Warburton.

    All the deaths occured on Sunday, February 14.

    The victims at Powelltown and Gilderoy were: - Lindsay Douglas King aged 21 years, mill hand single; Leslie Carl Hay age 31 years, mill hand married five children; Sydney Johns aged 31 years mill hand, single; Herber Johns aged l8 years; Richard Cyril Duncan aged two years and seven months; Ivy Jane Walker aged 29 years married; Edgar John Walker aged 31 years mill worker married two years; Bertie Walker aged four years; Kenneth Walker aged three years; Albert Lunson aged 22 years timber worker single; Valentine Walsh age 27 years timber worker single; Lawrence Roberts aged 28 years mill hand single; Joseph Charles Ross Johnstone aged 34 years engine-driver married one child; Albert Ernest Sand- ham aged 26 years mill hand single; Walter Ernest Charle Bull aged 39 years telegraphist married; William Anson aged 67 years labourer single.

    Tho coroner was assisted bv Subinspector Gardner. Mr Maurice Blackburn appeared for the relatives of the deceased, and for the Victorian branch of the Australian Timber Workers' Union.

    Arthur Mark Bowe, winchdriver, Yarra Junction, said My wife was keeping a boarding house for the employees of the mill. At half past 10 o clock in the morningg I noticed a fire burning near Saxton' s mill, about a mile and a half away. An hour later burning sticks and bark came overhead and set the hill on the west side alight. By a quartet to 2 o 'clock the fire had almost reached the mill. My son Clarence and I started to make a fire break about 10ft wide at the back of the house.

    I called on the others, to help me, but they were all running about excitedly. The fire came up to our break and stopped but it worked round and caught another house close by, which set our house on fire. Men, wonen, and children made for the horse trough, and buried their luggage. I went to get a tin of water so that we could have a drink when the fire had passed over I called to the others, "The water is all gone! Get down to the creek'! That is our only chance." They left the horse trough and started for the creek. I was some distance behind when I noticed most ot the party leaving the creek. My wife, Mrs Duncan, and Clarence stayed with me and I called to the others," For God's sake don't go up there, or you are caught!"

    Lindsay King shouted, "Come on. It is all right. We can get through." They kept going and that was the last time that I saw any of them alive except Arthur Walker and Harry King. I know that they could not get through the fire and shortly afterwards it crossed the tramline behind them, so that they could not get back. We crouched in the creek and the fire swept over us at a terrific pace. The heat was unbearable. Later, I came out of the creek, and met Walker and Harry King coming towards me. King was on his hands and knees. Walker was stumbling and fell into the creek. I carried King to the creek, and poured water over them both. They were badly burned. Walking along the tramline I found the bodies of the remainder of the party. I counted 13 bodies. When it came dusk, we all left the creek and went to the top of the hill, where we remained all night.

    Lillian Howe, wife of the previous witness, said that Mrs Duncan and she would have perished in the creek had not her husband kept throwing water over them. On their way to Saxton's mill the following morning, they were blocked at one point by a large burning tree which had fallen across the track. Exhausted and hungry, they were compelled to scrape away the sand with their hands to make a hole large enough to crawl under the tree. King and Walker, who were smoke blind and badly burned, had then to be dragged through this hole.

    Elizabeth Duncan, married woman, said:

    My son, Richard Duncan. aged two years and seven months, was burnt to death in the fire. I had been assisting Mrs Rowe in conducting the boating house, and had only been at Gilderoy for a week. When we were in the creek Mr Len King took my boy and tried to make to safety at the old farm with him but was compelled to turn back. He then left my boy with the remainder of the party, and that was the last time I saw him alive.

    Main Party Cut Off

    Arthur George Walker, sawmill hand said: While the others stayed in the creek, the main party tried tn reach some cleared land up the hill. We had gone about half-way when the fire leapt up in front of us. We turned and rushed back towards the creek, but when we reached the log yard we saw that the fire was aleady over the creek. We were cut off and could neither advance nor retreat. Lind say King took Mrs Walker and tried to force his way through the flames with her. They got half way and had to come back. I then attempted to reach safety with Mrs Walker but was also forced back. I could then see that there was no chance of saving anyone so I ran through the log yard, through the mill, which was on fire, and into the creek. Harry King had gone this way some minutes before. We dropped into the creek, and stayed there for three hours.

    Reoovory of Bodies.

    Mounted constable F.R.H. Raper, stationed at Yarra Junction, said that while conveying the body of Ernest Bull to Yarra Junction he heard of the disaster at Gilderoy. He left Bull's body at Saxton's house and went to the mill which he found had been totally destroyed. He described the finding of the bodies. In one place seven bodies were huddled together, three being those of children.

    Charles Reuben Lewis, mill hand, said that he left the mill at noon on Saturday and returned on the Mondav morning from Yarra Junction. He described the finding of the bodies and how he had been able to identify them by articles of their property.

    John Henry Hudson, labourer, Yarra Junction, described the finding of a body burned beyond recognition. Lying beside it was an imitation pin made of cardboard in the form of a Union Jack, and with the name on it in ink "Joseph Johnstone." Johnstone had worn this pin ever since witness had known him.

    Death of Ernest Bull

    A statement made by Arthur Bryant butcher, Powelltown, to Detective McKerrall was read. ln this he said:-About 6 o'clock on the Sunday night I went to Morris's slaughter-yard in Powelltown to kill a beast and some sheep for the following day. Alexander Sparks and Ernest Bull were with me. Bush fires were in the hills on every side, and the smoke was very thick. Bull returned to Powell- town. I released the cattle and sheep and we then lit two small fires as a break against the main fire which was closing in on all sides. We tried to cross the gully but the scrub was so thick that we could not get through. As we ran back towards the pigsty Bull cried, " I am done," and fell on his knees. I said, "Come on; we will be burnt to to death,"and Sparks and I helped him to the pig- sty. The fire became too hot and we moved into the sty among the pigs. But then the sty caught fire and we were forced out of it, and Bull threw himself in the ground and exclaimed," I am done."

    He kept catching his throat and asked us to cut his throat. He then lay still and did not speak. I examined him, feeling heart and pulse, and he appeared to be dead. The sty was then burning fiercely, and we were compelled to run through the flames to the railway line to save our own lives. That night we returned to the spot with others and found Bull's charred body near the pigsty.

    Fatal Refusal to Leave

    Charles Henry King, a line-repairer, Powelltown, said - About a quartar to 4 o'clock on the Sunday afternoon. accompanied by Carl Thomas, I went to No 13 mill, as the fires were raging there. Willliam Anson was sitting at his hut door, and the fire was burning fiercely on the l hill opposite the hut. I said to him, "You had better pack up, Bill and come with us." He replied, "No, Charlie; I have a little patch on the top of the hill and if the mill catches fire I am going up there." I tried in every way to induce him to leave the hut but he refused to do so. Fires broke out round his hut and I tried to put them out but it was no use. The heat became so intense that we had to run away or we would have been burned. Eventually we reached Cummings house, which is two miles dis- tant. On the Tuesday I was one of a search party which recovered Anson's body. It was lying three chains from his hut in the direction of the cleared patch which he had indicated.

    Origin of Fire

    Carl Thomas labourer Powelltown gavesimilar evidence.

    Senior detective A 1 McKerrall said that his inquiries showed that the fire had begun on Mount Donna Buang about January 3, and had burnt slowly in the hills till February 14 when it had been fanned into activity by the north wind and had leapt through the bush.

    Coroner's Praise

    Tlie coroner found that the deaths of the 16 people had been caused through burns accidentally received in a bush fire.

    "I desire ," he added, " to bear testimony in such words as I can to the wonderful courage shown by the women and the men who met this holocaust on the fateful Sunday afternoon. It moves one deeply, even to think of it. Thy showed the courage that we expect from the sons and daughters of our race but they showed it in a mar- vellous way." The coroner spoke of the excellent work performed by the people of Yarra Junction in helping to bring out the bodies of the dead and in succouring the homeless. The police had given of their time and energies to the full extent- first, he was sure, as men, and second as servants of the Government. He knew, perhaps better than most, how ungrudgingly they bad gone without food and without sleep. He acknowledged also the assistance which he had received from Senior detective McKerrall, by the fine manner in which he had prepared a difficult brief."

Children of Ivy Jane Walsh and Edgar John Walker

James Walsh

M, b. 1868

James Alexander Walsh

M, b. 1891