Amy Edith Walsh

F, b. 2 December 1889, d. 11 March 1970
  • Amy Edith Walsh was born on 2 December 1889.
  • At the age of 20 years, 2 months and 21 days, Amy Edith Walsh married Ernest Percival Norgate, son of Jabez Norgate and Lucy Bullard, on 23 February 1910 in New Zealand.
  • On 22 June 1953,her husband, Ernest Percival Norgate died in Opunkae, New Zealand, at age 67. He was a farmer.
  • Amy Edith Walsh died on 11 March 1970 in Opunkae, New Zealand, at age 80.
  • Amy was buried on 13 March 1970 in Opunake General Interdenominational Cemetery.

Children of Amy Edith Walsh and Ernest Percival Norgate

Andrew Walsh

M, b. 1913, d. 3 March 1931
  • Andrew Walsh was born in 1913 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of Edward Joseph Walsh and Catherine Purcill.
  • Andrew Walsh died on 3 March 1931 in Queensland.
  • Andrew was buried on 4 March 1931 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00C-0042.

Ann Walsh

F, b. 1872, d. 1926

Bridget Walsh

F, b. 1839, d. 1 November 1907
  • Bridget Walsh was born in 1839.
  • At the age of 25 years, Bridget Walsh married William Frederick Murphy in 1864 in Queensland.
  • Bridget Walsh and William Frederick Murphy appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Cabarlah. William was a farmer and Bridget carried out home duties. Their daughter Bridget was also living at Cabarlah.
  • On 6 April 1906,her husband, William Frederick Murphy died in Queensland.
  • Bridget Walsh died on 1 November 1907 in Queensland.
  • Bridget was buried on 3 November 1907 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00B-0036.

Children of Bridget Walsh and William Frederick Murphy

Catherine Walsh

F, b. 1835, d. 22 October 1905
  • Catherine Walsh was born in 1835 in County Kildare, Ireland.
  • At the age of 29 years, Catherine Walsh married Bernard McCaul, son of Thomas McCaul and Mary Mullin, on 1 May 1864 in Toowoomba. Bernard was a 24 year old labourer living in Toowoomba. He was born at Derrymagowan, Co Armagh, Ireland and was the son of Thomas McCaul (farmer) and Mary Mullan. Catherine was 28, living in Toowoomba and was born in Co. Kildare, Ireland . Witnesses to the marriage were Patrick Mahoney and Mary Ryan.
  • Catherine Walsh and James McCaul appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Cabarlah. James was a farmer and his mother Catherine carried out home duties.
  • Catherine Walsh died on 22 October 1905 in Queensland.
  • Catherine was buried on 24 October 1905 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00A-0035.

Children of Catherine Walsh and Bernard McCaul

Catherine Walsh

F, b. 1876
  • Catherine Walsh was born in 1876 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of John Walsh and Ellen Long.

Denis Andrew Walsh

M, b. 17 March 1898, d. 1963
  • Denis Andrew Walsh was born on 17 March 1898 in Queensland. He was the son of John Andrew Walsh and Ada Helena Bayntun.
  • At the age of 26 years, Denis Andrew Walsh married Ruth Maud Pettinger, daughter of William Pettinger Brewer and Sarah Jane Page, in 1925 in Queensland.
  • Denis Andrew Walsh died in 1963 in Queensland.

Edward Joseph Walsh

M, b. 1882, d. 21 April 1930
  • Edward Joseph Walsh was born in 1882 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of John Walsh and Ellen Long.
  • Edward Joseph Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with Ellen Long in 1903 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their sons Edward and John Patrick were labourers.
  • Edward Joseph Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with John Walsh and Ellen Long in 1908 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their daughter Ellen carried out home duties and son Edward was a farmer of Geham. Son John Patrick was a labourer.
  • At the age of 29 years, Edward Joseph Walsh married Catherine Purcill in 1911 in Queensland.
  • Edward Joseph Walsh died on 21 April 1930 in Queensland.
  • Edward was buried on 22 April 1930 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00C-0044.

Children of Edward Joseph Walsh and Catherine Purcill

Ellen Walsh

F, b. 1886
  • Ellen Walsh was born in 1886 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of John Walsh and Ellen Long.
  • Ellen Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with John Walsh and Ellen Long in 1908 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their daughter Ellen carried out home duties and son Edward was a farmer of Geham. Son John Patrick was a labourer.

Ellen May Walsh

F, b. 1914

Hannah Walsh

F, b. 1878, d. 26 February 1944
  • Hannah Walsh was born in 1878. She was the daughter of John Walsh and Hanora McLaughlin.
  • At the age of 36 years, Hannah Walsh married John Thomas Creed, son of William Creed and Harriet Page, in 1914 in Queensland.
  • Hannah Walsh died on 26 February 1944 in Queensland.
  • Hannah was buried on 28 February 1944 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery. RC6-002-0054.

Honora Walsh

F, b. 1869

Child of Honora Walsh and William Richard Wilkes

Ivy Jane Walsh

F, b. 8 October 1896, d. February 1926
  • Ivy Jane Walsh was born on 8 October 1896 in Deloraine, Tasmania. She was the daughter of William WALSH and Maria LAREDO.
  • Ivy Jane Walsh married Edgar John Walker, son of George Walker and Louisa Burgess, circa 1920.
  • Ivy Jane Walsh died in February 1926 in Wollery's Mill, Gilderoy, Victoria, at age 29. Her husband Edgarr and two sons Bertie and Kenneth died in a bushfire.
  • On 10 March 1926 "The Argus" newspaper reported on the coroners finding into the deaths of those lost in the bushfires. It read " VICTIMS OF THE FIRES.



    Graphic Evidence at Inquest.


    Stories told at inquests held yesterday by the city coioner (Nr. D. Berriman) into the deaths of the bush fire victims in the Warburton and Powelltown districts told realistically of the suffering and heroism of the survivors. The first inquiry was held in the Yarra Junction Shire Hall in the morning and concerned the deaths of 14 people at Worlley's mill Gilderoy, and two at Powelltown. Women in black wept silently throughout the hearing of the evidence and among the witnesses were Arthur Walker and Harry King the only two survivors of the mill party which sought safety on an old farm and was cut off by the flames. Both men, who have been in the Melbourne Hospital had their right arms in slings. Smoke from fires in the surrounding hills swirled through the hall during the hearing

    In the afternoon the lnquiry at Warburton related to six deaths at Big Pat's Creek including those of the five members of the Donald family. The alarm bell sounded twice while the hearing was in progress and as witnesses gave their evidence they were released to join the volunteers fighting the fires round Warburton.

    All the deaths occured on Sunday, February 14.

    The victims at Powelltown and Gilderoy were: - Lindsay Douglas King aged 21 years, mill hand single; Leslie Carl Hay age 31 years, mill hand married five children; Sydney Johns aged 31 years mill hand, single; Herber Johns aged l8 years; Richard Cyril Duncan aged two years and seven months; Ivy Jane Walker aged 29 years married; Edgar John Walker aged 31 years mill worker married two years; Bertie Walker aged four years; Kenneth Walker aged three years; Albert Lunson aged 22 years timber worker single; Valentine Walsh age 27 years timber worker single; Lawrence Roberts aged 28 years mill hand single; Joseph Charles Ross Johnstone aged 34 years engine-driver married one child; Albert Ernest Sand- ham aged 26 years mill hand single; Walter Ernest Charle Bull aged 39 years telegraphist married; William Anson aged 67 years labourer single.

    Tho coroner was assisted bv Subinspector Gardner. Mr Maurice Blackburn appeared for the relatives of the deceased, and for the Victorian branch of the Australian Timber Workers' Union.

    Arthur Mark Bowe, winchdriver, Yarra Junction, said My wife was keeping a boarding house for the employees of the mill. At half past 10 o clock in the morningg I noticed a fire burning near Saxton' s mill, about a mile and a half away. An hour later burning sticks and bark came overhead and set the hill on the west side alight. By a quartet to 2 o 'clock the fire had almost reached the mill. My son Clarence and I started to make a fire break about 10ft wide at the back of the house.

    I called on the others, to help me, but they were all running about excitedly. The fire came up to our break and stopped but it worked round and caught another house close by, which set our house on fire. Men, wonen, and children made for the horse trough, and buried their luggage. I went to get a tin of water so that we could have a drink when the fire had passed over I called to the others, "The water is all gone! Get down to the creek'! That is our only chance." They left the horse trough and started for the creek. I was some distance behind when I noticed most ot the party leaving the creek. My wife, Mrs Duncan, and Clarence stayed with me and I called to the others," For God's sake don't go up there, or you are caught!"

    Lindsay King shouted, "Come on. It is all right. We can get through." They kept going and that was the last time that I saw any of them alive except Arthur Walker and Harry King. I know that they could not get through the fire and shortly afterwards it crossed the tramline behind them, so that they could not get back. We crouched in the creek and the fire swept over us at a terrific pace. The heat was unbearable. Later, I came out of the creek, and met Walker and Harry King coming towards me. King was on his hands and knees. Walker was stumbling and fell into the creek. I carried King to the creek, and poured water over them both. They were badly burned. Walking along the tramline I found the bodies of the remainder of the party. I counted 13 bodies. When it came dusk, we all left the creek and went to the top of the hill, where we remained all night.

    Lillian Howe, wife of the previous witness, said that Mrs Duncan and she would have perished in the creek had not her husband kept throwing water over them. On their way to Saxton's mill the following morning, they were blocked at one point by a large burning tree which had fallen across the track. Exhausted and hungry, they were compelled to scrape away the sand with their hands to make a hole large enough to crawl under the tree. King and Walker, who were smoke blind and badly burned, had then to be dragged through this hole.

    Elizabeth Duncan, married woman, said:

    My son, Richard Duncan. aged two years and seven months, was burnt to death in the fire. I had been assisting Mrs Rowe in conducting the boating house, and had only been at Gilderoy for a week. When we were in the creek Mr Len King took my boy and tried to make to safety at the old farm with him but was compelled to turn back. He then left my boy with the remainder of the party, and that was the last time I saw him alive.

    Main Party Cut Off

    Arthur George Walker, sawmill hand said: While the others stayed in the creek, the main party tried tn reach some cleared land up the hill. We had gone about half-way when the fire leapt up in front of us. We turned and rushed back towards the creek, but when we reached the log yard we saw that the fire was aleady over the creek. We were cut off and could neither advance nor retreat. Lind say King took Mrs Walker and tried to force his way through the flames with her. They got half way and had to come back. I then attempted to reach safety with Mrs Walker but was also forced back. I could then see that there was no chance of saving anyone so I ran through the log yard, through the mill, which was on fire, and into the creek. Harry King had gone this way some minutes before. We dropped into the creek, and stayed there for three hours.

    Reoovory of Bodies.

    Mounted constable F.R.H. Raper, stationed at Yarra Junction, said that while conveying the body of Ernest Bull to Yarra Junction he heard of the disaster at Gilderoy. He left Bull's body at Saxton's house and went to the mill which he found had been totally destroyed. He described the finding of the bodies. In one place seven bodies were huddled together, three being those of children.

    Charles Reuben Lewis, mill hand, said that he left the mill at noon on Saturday and returned on the Mondav morning from Yarra Junction. He described the finding of the bodies and how he had been able to identify them by articles of their property.

    John Henry Hudson, labourer, Yarra Junction, described the finding of a body burned beyond recognition. Lying beside it was an imitation pin made of cardboard in the form of a Union Jack, and with the name on it in ink "Joseph Johnstone." Johnstone had worn this pin ever since witness had known him.

    Death of Ernest Bull

    A statement made by Arthur Bryant butcher, Powelltown, to Detective McKerrall was read. ln this he said:-About 6 o'clock on the Sunday night I went to Morris's slaughter-yard in Powelltown to kill a beast and some sheep for the following day. Alexander Sparks and Ernest Bull were with me. Bush fires were in the hills on every side, and the smoke was very thick. Bull returned to Powell- town. I released the cattle and sheep and we then lit two small fires as a break against the main fire which was closing in on all sides. We tried to cross the gully but the scrub was so thick that we could not get through. As we ran back towards the pigsty Bull cried, " I am done," and fell on his knees. I said, "Come on; we will be burnt to to death,"and Sparks and I helped him to the pig- sty. The fire became too hot and we moved into the sty among the pigs. But then the sty caught fire and we were forced out of it, and Bull threw himself in the ground and exclaimed," I am done."

    He kept catching his throat and asked us to cut his throat. He then lay still and did not speak. I examined him, feeling heart and pulse, and he appeared to be dead. The sty was then burning fiercely, and we were compelled to run through the flames to the railway line to save our own lives. That night we returned to the spot with others and found Bull's charred body near the pigsty.

    Fatal Refusal to Leave

    Charles Henry King, a line-repairer, Powelltown, said - About a quartar to 4 o'clock on the Sunday afternoon. accompanied by Carl Thomas, I went to No 13 mill, as the fires were raging there. Willliam Anson was sitting at his hut door, and the fire was burning fiercely on the l hill opposite the hut. I said to him, "You had better pack up, Bill and come with us." He replied, "No, Charlie; I have a little patch on the top of the hill and if the mill catches fire I am going up there." I tried in every way to induce him to leave the hut but he refused to do so. Fires broke out round his hut and I tried to put them out but it was no use. The heat became so intense that we had to run away or we would have been burned. Eventually we reached Cummings house, which is two miles dis- tant. On the Tuesday I was one of a search party which recovered Anson's body. It was lying three chains from his hut in the direction of the cleared patch which he had indicated.

    Origin of Fire

    Carl Thomas labourer Powelltown gavesimilar evidence.

    Senior detective A 1 McKerrall said that his inquiries showed that the fire had begun on Mount Donna Buang about January 3, and had burnt slowly in the hills till February 14 when it had been fanned into activity by the north wind and had leapt through the bush.

    Coroner's Praise

    Tlie coroner found that the deaths of the 16 people had been caused through burns accidentally received in a bush fire.

    "I desire ," he added, " to bear testimony in such words as I can to the wonderful courage shown by the women and the men who met this holocaust on the fateful Sunday afternoon. It moves one deeply, even to think of it. Thy showed the courage that we expect from the sons and daughters of our race but they showed it in a mar- vellous way." The coroner spoke of the excellent work performed by the people of Yarra Junction in helping to bring out the bodies of the dead and in succouring the homeless. The police had given of their time and energies to the full extent- first, he was sure, as men, and second as servants of the Government. He knew, perhaps better than most, how ungrudgingly they bad gone without food and without sleep. He acknowledged also the assistance which he had received from Senior detective McKerrall, by the fine manner in which he had prepared a difficult brief."

Children of Ivy Jane Walsh and Edgar John Walker

James Walsh

M, b. 1868

James Alexander Walsh

M, b. 1891

John Walsh

M, b. circa 1855

John Walsh

M, b. 1830, d. 12 November 1908
  • John Walsh was born in 1830 in County Kildare, Ireland. He was the son of John Walsh and Ann Corrigan.
  • John Walsh married Ellen Long circa 1865 in Queensland.
  • In 1901 John was listed as a farmer of Geham in the 1901 Crow's Nest Post Office Directory.
  • John Walsh and Ellen Long appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1908 living at Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their daughter Ellen carried out home duties and son Edward was a farmer of Geham. Son John Patrick was a labourer.
  • John Walsh died on 12 November 1908 in Queensland.
  • John was buried on 13 November 1908 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00A-0043.

Children of John Walsh and Ellen Long

John Walsh

M, b. 1911

John Decourcy Walsh

M, b. circa 1900

John Patrick Walsh

M, b. 1874, d. 1912
  • John Patrick Walsh was born in 1874 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of John Walsh and Ellen Long.
  • John Patrick Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with Ellen Long in 1903 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their sons Edward and John Patrick were labourers.
  • John Patrick Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll with John Walsh and Ellen Long in 1908 in Blossom Farm, Geham. John was a farmer. Their daughter Ellen carried out home duties and son Edward was a farmer of Geham. Son John Patrick was a labourer.
  • John Patrick Walsh died in 1912 in Queensland.

Joseph Walsh

M, b. circa 1885, d. 1960
  • Joseph Walsh was born circa 1885. He was the son of James Alexander Walsh and Jane.
  • Joseph Walsh married Roseanna Idella Crawford, daughter of Henry Crawford and Elizabeth Crozier, in 1909 in Lismore, New South Wales, Australia.
  • Joseph Walsh died in 1960 in Lismore, New South Wales.

Julia Walsh

F, b. 1889

Margaret Walsh

F, b. 1884

Mary (Minnie) Walsh

F, b. 1879, d. 26 August 1953
  • Mary (Minnie) Walsh was born in 1879 in Queensland.
  • She was the daughter of John Walsh and Ellen Long.
  • At the age of 30 years, Mary (Minnie) Walsh married William O'Sullivan, son of Thomas O'Sullivan and Bridget Garvey, in 1909 in Queensland.
  • Mary (Minnie) Walsh appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1913 living at Crow's Nest. She carried out home duties.
  • On 27 June 1952,her husband, William O'Sullivan died in Queensland.
  • Mary (Minnie) Walsh died on 26 August 1953 in Queensland.
  • Mary was buried on 27 August 1953 in Drayton & Toowoomba Cemetery. RC5-010-0059.

Mary Elizabeth Walsh

F, b. circa 1905
  • Mary Elizabeth Walsh was born circa 1905.

Maurice John Walsh

M, b. circa 1910
  • Maurice John Walsh was born circa 1910. He was the son of TM Walsh.

Neil William Walsh

M, b. 24 February 1924, d. 24 January 1952
  • Neil William Walsh was born on 24 February 1924 in Wynyard, Tasmania. He was the son of Neil William WALSH and Maggie Frances MORONEY.
  • At the age of 24 years and 13 days, Neil William Walsh married Enid Watts, daughter of Byron Jabez (Jabe) Watts and Aleada Mary Burgess, on 8 March 1948.
  • Neil William Walsh died on 24 January 1952 in Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania, at age 27.

Sarah Walsh

F, b. 1841, d. 26 January 1903
  • Sarah Walsh was born in 1841. She was the daughter of Thomas WALSH and Mary DARCY.
  • At the age of 22 years, Sarah Walsh married Mathew Gleeson, son of James Gleeson and Ann Costello, on 21 November 1863 in Queensland.
  • Sarah Walsh died on 26 January 1903 in Queensland.
  • Sarah was buried in Crow's Nest Cemetery.

Children of Sarah Walsh and Mathew Gleeson

Thomas Walsh

M, b. 1881, d. 1881
  • Thomas Walsh died in 1881 in Queensland.
  • He was born in 1881 in Queensland.
  • He was the son of John Walsh and Ellen Long.

Thomas Walsh

M, b. 1838, d. 21 December 1910
  • Thomas Walsh was born in 1838 in Kilkenny, Ireland.
  • He appeared on the Electoral Roll in 1903 living at Cabarlah. Thomas was a farmer.
  • Thomas Walsh died on 21 December 1910 in Queensland.
  • Thomas was buried on 23 December 1910 in Cabarlah Cemetery. RC1-00C-0006.