John Israel Eyles

M, b. 22 February 1860
  • John Israel Eyles was born on 22 February 1860 in New Zealand. He may have died as an infant.
  • He was the son of John Eyles and Mary Driscoll.

Joseph Walter Eyles

M, b. 1912

Judith Eyles

F, b. circa 1912

Lawrence William Eyles

M, b. 23 November 1893, d. 11 August 1917
  • Lawrence William Eyles was born on 23 November 1893 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of William Daniel Eyles and Rebecca Alice Cobb.
  • Lawrence William Eyles and Dorothea Maria Cortzen were engaged on 8 August 1914; Dora lived at Ranzau near Nelson. She wrote of her engagement in the back of her address book - Engaged to LWE on 8th August 1914

    She later married Alfred Kennedy Sloane in 1919.
  • Lawrence William Eyles embarked from Wellington to Plymouth on the "Ulimoroa" on 19 January 1917. He had joined the 21st Reinforcements Canterbury Battalion, C Company. He was a motor mechanic and listed his mother, Mrs Alice Eyles of Motueka Street, Nelson as his next of kin.
  • Lawrence William Eyles was killed in action on 11 August 1917 in Belgium at age 23.
  • Lawrence was buried in Belgium.
  • Lawrence William Eyles also went by the name of Laurie.

Lawrence William Eyles

M, b. 1931, d. 5 August 1931
  • Lawrence William Eyles was born in 1931 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of Douglas Arthur Eyles and Margaret Myra Westrupp.
  • Lawrence William Eyles died on 5 August 1931 in New Zealand. He was 24 hours old and died of convultions.
  • Lawrence was buried on 6 August 1931 in Orowaiti Middle Cemetery.

Lester William Eyles

M, b. 1932, d. 28 February 1935
  • Lester William Eyles was born in 1932.
  • He was the son of Hubert Philip Eyles and Evelyn Esther Waghorn.
  • Lester William Eyles died on 28 February 1935 in New Zealand . He was two years old.
  • Lester was buried in Dovedale Cemetery. He is buried with his uncle Stanley Eyles.
  • Lester William Eyles also went by the name of Pete.

Lillian Amelia Eyles

F, b. 4 September 1867, d. 1935
  • Lillian Amelia Eyles was born on 4 September 1867 in New Zealand.
  • She was the daughter of William Eyles and Amelia Catherine Thorn.
  • At the age of 20 years, 5 months and 23 days, Lillian Amelia Eyles married George Henry Allport on 27 February 1888 in New Zealand.
  • In 1913,her husband, George Henry Allport died in New Zealand.
  • At the age of 46 years, Lillian Amelia Eyles married George John Metcalfe in 1914 in New Zealand.
  • Lillian Amelia Eyles died in 1935 in New Zealand.

Children of Lillian Amelia Eyles and George Henry Allport

Lily Eyles

F, b. 19 April 1889, d. 1 July 1932
  • Lily Eyles was born on 19 April 1889 in New Zealand.
  • She was the daughter of Walter Nugent Eyles and Mary Thomas.
  • At the age of 27 years, 11 months and 15 days, Lily Eyles married John Murray Gregg on 3 April 1917 in New Zealand.
  • Lily Eyles lived in St Andrew's Road, Blenheim, most likely with her parents, when her husband John Murray Gregg embarked for England during WWI on 26 April 1917.
  • Lily Eyles died on 1 July 1932 in New Zealand at age 43.

Lucy Louise Eyles

F, b. 29 December 1863, d. 1950
  • Lucy Louise Eyles was also known as Louisa.
  • She was born on 29 December 1863 in Wairau, New Zealand.
  • She was the daughter of Charles Eyles and Selina Higgins.
  • At the age of 32 years, 9 months and 14 days, Lucy Louise Eyles married Samuel Arthur James Timms on 13 October 1896 in New Zealand.
  • Lucy Louise Eyles died in 1950 in New Zealand.

Child of Lucy Louise Eyles

M(ale) Eyles

M, b. 4 July 1847, d. 11 July 1847
  • M(ale) Eyles was born on 4 July 1847 in Tasmania.
  • He was the son of Charles Eyles and Mary Ann Dunkley.
  • M(ale) Eyles died on 11 July 1847 in Tasmania.

Margaret Eyles

F, b. circa 1912

Marjorie Gladys Eyles

F, b. 19 September 1909, d. 1989

Martin James Eyles

M, b. 23 April 1901, d. 1984
  • Martin James Eyles was born on 23 April 1901 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of Charles Eyles and Louissa Margrater La Frentz.
  • On 26 June 1918 the Dominion newspaper reported:-"MAGISTRATE'S COURT - ASSAULT ,UPON A GIRL
    YOUTH ADMITTED TO PROBATION. Mr. F. V. Frazer, S.M, heard the police cases in the Magistrate's Court yesterday. A charge of having assaulted a girl 12 years of age, on June 15, was alleged against a youthful sailor named Martin James Eyles, for whom Mr. .H. F. O'Leary appeared. Inspector Mursack, who prosecuted, in outlining the case, stated that the girl was staying at a boarding house in Hopper Street, and the young man was also living there at the time. The girl slept on a couch in the dining room, and on the night of the information, between 10 and 11 o'clock, she heard someone moving about the room. A few minutes later she was seized by the shoulders, upon which she screamed, and the man, who was alleged to be accused, decamped. It was afterwards found that the accused was not in his room, (but his boots and socks were there. About 1 o'clock in the morning accused was noticed to creep back to the house, and when questioned as to his actions, said, "What are you going to charge me with?" He made a second statement to the effect that he had felt uneasy during the night, and had gone down to the Basin Reserve. Inspector Mursack added that accused was seen returning to the house, but in a different direction from the Basin Reserve. After evidence had been heard in support of the charge accused declined to go into the witness box, but his counsel said it was quite evident someone took hold of the girl. Probably it was the youth, who was under the influence of liquor. His Worship said the evidence was so clear that only most complete explanation from the accused could have been accepted. Had accused been a grown man he would have regarded the offence as a very serious one, but he did not wish to send a boy of 17 to prison. There had been no attempt to interfere further with the girl, so he would deal leniently with the accused. "I hope I am not taking a serious risk with you," remarked His Worship to accused, "but you will be convicted and admitted to probation for two years." An order was also made prohibiting the accused from touching intoxicating liquor for a period of two years. "
  • On 29 December 1944 Martin Swain allegedly shot two people. The Auckland Star reported on 9 February 1945 "NAPIER SHOOTING-CHARGE OF MURDER-FURTHER EVIDENCE HEARD P.A. NAPIER, this day. Happenings in the Caledonian Hotel, Napier, and in the roadway in its vicinity on the afternoon of December 29 during which two persons were killed and three persons were seriously injured following the discharge of an automatic pistol, were further described before Mr. J. Miller, S.M., to-day, when the hearing was continued of the charges against Martin James Eyles, aged 45, seaman and waterside worker. Eyles was charged on two separate accounts of murdering Charles Edmund Swain, barman-porter at the Caledonian Hotel, and John Barry Bertram Howe, schoolboy, who was cycling near the hotel when he was shot. Three charges of attempted murder were laid, one concerning Thomas Rogers, who was in the bar of the hotel, and the other two concerning Detective-Sergeant Duncan McKenzie and Detective Andrew Reid, members of a police party, who were shot at while in a motorcar. The remaining two charges were those in which accused was charged with discharging a German Luger automatic pistol loaded with destructive materials with intent to do grievous bodily harm to Thelma Winnie Alcock, a pedestrian, who was wounded near the post office, and Henry James Kearney, an elderly journalist, who was wounded while sitting in the lounge of the hotel. The case for the Crown was conducted by Mr. L. W. Willis, Crown prosecutor, and Mr. H. W. Dowling appeared for accused. Bullet in Shopping Bag Inez Norah Kennedy, married woman, gave evidence concerning damage to a handbag and shopping bag which she was carrying in the street outside the post office on the afternoon of the shooting. A bullet was found the next day in the shopping bag. This she handed to the police.
    Cross-examined by Mr. Dowling witness said there was no possible reason she knew of why the accused should shoot at her.
    Henry Edgsworth Seed, record clerk, employed by the Land and Survey Department, said that on hearing three reports he looked out of a small window with a view of Hastings Street. Witness saw a man standing in the. centre of the footpath. He was pointing something at a boy riding a bicycle slowly along the road. The man lowered what he was handling and seemed to adjust some mechanism. Then he raised what afterwards proved to be a gun, took aim and levelled it at the boy. A shot rang out as the boy was turning into Dickens Street, and he seemed to utter a sharp cry. The boy fell off the bicycle just at the corner.
    A further eye witness of the shooting, Herbert Leonard Waters, sign writer, said that the boy turned round to look -at the man while he was loading. The man aimed at the boy, but the pistol did not go off. He seemed to fool around with the pistol and pointed it at the boy again. He heard a shot fired and saw the boy when he fell. The man walked away quietly. Witness followed the crowd and from a corner he could see the men. The man pointed the pistol two or three times towards the crowd. Stolen Pistol Identified Joseph Jeffares, excavator driver, identified a pistol, produced, which he registered in 1921. During the 1931 earthquake it and. 50 rounds of ammunition were stolen from his home, and he had not seen it until the police showed it to him last month.
    Evidence of having known accused for 15 to 20 years was given by James Forne, watersider. He was with accused in the Caledonian Hotel bar on the morning of December 29. Accused was known on the Napier waterfront as "Bromide" Eyles, because of his habit of taking bromide as a nerve steadier after being ill. Accused was in the habit of taking liquor every day, and witness had quite often seen him drunk. He then became erratic, irrational and domineering. A barman in the Caledonian Hotel, Philip Aubrey McCabe, said accused visited the bar nearly every morning, having about six or eight beers, usually alone. On the afternoon of the shooting Eyles was in the bar, with Rogers standing nearby, when Swain came in. Swain said: "Good afternoon, Mr. Eyles." Eyles then drew a pistol from his coat and shot Swain.
    Accused then "fanned" the pistol around the bar, pointing it at witness, who appealed to accused not to shoot. Eyles left the bar and went into the foyer, and witness heard another shot. There was no argument in the bar while Eyles was there, and there appeared to be no reason for the shooting. Other witnesses who were in the bar and the hotel at the time gave similar evidence. Under cross examination, William John Kyle, licensee of the Caledonian Hotel, said Swain and accused were friends. Witness believed Eyles was in the habit of lending Swain money to see him over to pay day. Swain had been ill recently, and Eyles had visited him in his room, taking him some fruit. Jack Frederick Neill, contractor, of Port Ahuriri, stated he was in the hotel on the afternoon of December 29. There were three men in the bar and one had a pistol in his hand. He fired the pistol at a man in a white coat. Mr. Willis: What did you do then? Witness: I took off. Witness outlined how he went into the post office and heard further shots. He came out of the post office and saw a boy lying in the street. He also saw the man with the revolver fire shots up Hastings Street. To Mr. Dowling, witness stated that it appeared that the man was not firing at anybody in particular just firing wildly.
    Struck by Bullets Thomas Rogers, retired, of Napier, stated that on Friday, December 29, he went into the public bar of the hotel shortly after 3 p.m.. The accused, whom witness knew fairly well, was in the bar, and witness was standing about eight feet on the accused's right. Swain entered the bar and stood between witness and the accused. Swain put a tray on to the bar and then "things happened." Witness said he felt something on his hand. He looked and saw Eyles pointing a pistol at Swain. A bullet which went through Swain hit witness in the hand and dropped at his feet Nothing happened in the bar to provoke Eyles. Accused did not appear intoxicated. Witness left the bar, and as he left he felt a shot in his arm and heard a report.
    Mr. Dowling: You and Eyles never had any rows? There was no reason why he should have shot you?
    Witness: No; no reason whatever"

    The Evening Post reported on 25 February 1943 -

    The Crown case against Martin James Eyles, who is facing a double murder charge, was almost completed by the time the Court adjourned this evening. Mr. Justice Finlay is presiding. Mr. L. W. Willis and Mr. H. C. Sproule are appearing for the Crown and Mr. H. W. Dowling for the accused.
    Thomas Rogers, pensioner, aged 64, stated that in the bar Eyles presented a pistol and fired at Swain, the bullet passing through Swain's body and striking witness harmlessly on the arm before falling at his feet. Witness made a rapid exit, and Swain, who was just behind him, staggered and fell. Witness was leaving the hotel entrance when he was hit in the arm and wounded.
    Mr. Dowling: Had anything happened to give you reason to believe that he had any ill-feeling against you?— No.
    He had no reason for shooting you? —No.
    Eyles appeared to you in the bar to be sober?— Yes, reasonably so. I have seen him once or twice over the odds, but not on that occasion.
    Allen Berry, the accused's doctor, said that if a man was a consistently heavy drinker over a number of years he would suffer degeneration of the brain. He believed that a man complaining of seeing bright, flashing lights in the head, loss of memory, and hearing voices and footsteps when there were none, was suffering from alcoholic amnesia, which was forgetfulness over a period of time of what had happened. Such a person would do and say things of which afterwards he had no recollection. There were occasions known as alcoholic psychosis, meaning abnormality of conduct, and he could imagine anything. The witness said that a man suffering from alcoholic psychosis would be morally and legally responsible for what he was doing, because he could have an understanding of what was right and wrong. That would persist up to a point where he was suffering from delusions where he could be said to be suffering from temporary insanity. A man could shoot and then forget it, but witness could not say if, being in a state of amnesia, a man could appreciate the difference between right and wrong. To a question by Mr. Dowling, Senior Sergeant F. Forsythe said he believed Eyles when arrested was suffering from the effects of alcohol and was in a dazed condition in his cell. Witness noticed that Elyse’s eyes were glassy on the way to the police station. Eyles never spoke in a morose condition. POLICE EVIDENCE. Constable Ewen Rippin, who participated in the arrest of accused, said that when in the ambulance going to hospital Eyles said: "I had better be careful what I say. You'll remember and use it as evidence." The accused asked for a drink of water at the hospital, drinking four mugs of water. He then turned, and after walking a few steps, fell to the floor. The accused had a glassy look in the eyes, but witness could not say if he were unconscious. Constable Brian Nathan, who also assisted in the arrest, confirmed that accused's eyes were noticeably glazed Cross examined, he said accused appeared mentally fogged Mr. Dowling: What do you mean by that expression? Witness: He gave the impression that his mental faculties were impaired by over-indulgence in alcohol. James Dewar Hunter, superintendent of the Pokanui Mental Hospital said he examined the accused seven weeks after his arrest. He found the accused frank and co-operative in answering questions. In a report handed in by the witness the accused stated that from 1931-32 on he had had a feeling when walking behind people that he would like to jump on them and squeeze them. There were frequent references to drinking practices, after which he had woke up and found bruises received in brawls of which he had no recollection. The accused lent and borrowed money of which he had no recollection. From 1933 to 1938 he was boiling up concoctions of weeds from a garden. In 1943, he alleged, he had attempted suicide. He alleged that he also made liquor from fermented tomato jam. He complained of sleeplessness and severe headaches, and that he could not think clearly On December 20, between 2 am and 6 am., he had several drinks of rum . He recollected nothing between the hours of 11am and 5pm of that day. The witness said that he had based his opinions of the accused largely on what the accused had told him.
    Mr Willis. Was it possible that on this day he could do what he did and afterwards forget?
    Witness: With alcoholics all things are possible.
    The hearing will be continued tomorrow".
    Then in The Auckland Star on 23 February 1945 " NAPIER SHOOTING-CHARGES AGAINST EYLES CONSIDERATION DEFERRED P.A. NAPIER, this day. Three charges of attempted murder and two of discharging firearms with intent to do grievous bodily harm against Martin James Eyles, seaman and watersider. aged 45, who were sentenced earlier this week to life imprisonment on two counts of murder, have been deferred by Mr. Justice Finlay for consideration at the next session of the Supreme Court in Napier."
  • At the age of 59 years, Martin James Eyles married Doris Emily Neate in 1961.
  • On 19 October 1977,his wife, Doris Emily Neate died in New Zealand at age 79.
  • Martin James Eyles died in 1984 in New Zealand.

Mary Eyles

F, b. 30 October 1818, d. 20 July 1888

Benjamin Eyles (1833-1881) and his sister Mary (1818-1888). Photo Courtesy of Helen Jennings

  • Mary Eyles was born on 30 October 1818 in Lasham, Hampshire, England.
  • She was the daughter of Daniel Eyles and Jane Primmer.
  • Mary Eyles was baptized on 22 November 1818 in Lasham, Hampshire, England.
  • She immigrated on 24 September 1841 to South Island, New Zealand, with Daniel Eyles and Jane Primmer. The Eyles family - Daniel 44, an agricultural labourer, Jane 44, Mary 23, a servant, William 18, and agricultural labourer, Jane 16 a servant, John 11, Benjamin 10, Ann 13 and Ezra 2 left from London on the Mary Ann, captained by Bolton arriving at Nelson NZ on 5 February 1842. They were part of the second fleet of ships commissioned by The New Zealand Company to bring settlers to the area around Nelson on the South Island of New Zealand. Their daughter Amelia's husband Thomas Cresswell was on the Whitby, part of the first fleet sent to settle Nelson. Ezra Eyles died on the voyage. The family encountered very hard conditions. They lived in a hut made of Manuka and clay while other families endured in houses consisting of four poles and a fern leaf roof. According to family hearsay one poor man was brought to the Eyles home and laid on the mud floor because his house was not weather proof. It is also said that Jane and her daughter Ann collected flat stones from the river, and using some clay Daniel had collected to plug holes in the wall, build an "oven around the wall and put in what they called on ship a boulli tin for a flue". That was the first chimney. Conditions were wet for the first few months and sickness was rife. Then when the New Zealand Company went broke food was scarce. Over a five week period they only had one loaf of bread in the house and could not purchase tea and sugar. If not for the potatoes they would have starved and Daniel found it difficult to find work. Anne had waited in line for more than an hour sometimes and then missed out at the bakehouse. The family didn't own the land but were squatters.
    The entry in the Embarkation Register for the family is Eyles, Daniel (wife Jane), agric labourer, 44; 3 boys 11,10,3; 1 girl 13. Mary servant 23; William agric labourer 18; Jane servant 16. Their address on the application register was Lasham. The family was recommended by a M Crowley.
  • Mary Eyles witnessed the marriage of John Holdaway and Amelia Eyles on 7 August 1842 in New Zealand; They were married the same day as Amelia's sister Mary to David Norgate.The marriage was most likely from necessity as John had four young children to care for and Amelia had two. They went on to have another 11 children. The certificate shows that John was a labourer born Lasham, a widower. Amelia was from Madshad (Medsted), a widow. They were married by Charles Waring, sexton. John signed with his mark as did Amelia. Present were Thomas Samuel Tidd, Elizabeth Tidd and Mary Norgate.
  • At the age of 23 years, 9 months and 8 days, Mary Eyles married David Henry Major Norgate on 7 August 1842 in Nelson, New Zealand. They were married the same day as Mary's sister Amelia and John Holdaway. David and Mary met on the voyage to New Zealand on the Mary Anne.
  • Mary Eyles died on 20 July 1888 in Stoke, New Zealand, at age 69. Her death certificate showed she was 69 and died of paralysis. She had been born in Hampshire and had been in New Zealand 46 years. She was married in New Zealand at age 24 to David Norgate and had the following surviving children M. 29,31,33,41,45 F. 38,43.
  • Mary was buried on 23 July 1888 in Richmond Cemetery. Wesleyan Section.

Children of Mary Eyles and David Henry Major Norgate

Mary Ann Eyles

F, b. 30 May 1847, d. 18 December 1888
  • Mary Ann Eyles was born on 30 May 1847 in New Zealand.
  • She was the daughter of William Eyles and Amelia Catherine Thorn.
  • At the age of 19 years, 8 months and 11 days, Mary Ann Eyles married Thomas Hall Lammas on 13 February 1867. The courthouse approval to marry says 21 January 1867. They had 6 boys and 5 girls.
  • Mary Ann Eyles died on 18 December 1888 in New Zealand at age 41.

Children of Mary Ann Eyles and Thomas Hall Lammas

Mary Ngaria Birdie Eyles

F, b. 1910, d. 16 August 1965
  • Mary Ngaria Birdie Eyles was also known as Molly.
  • She was born in 1910 in New Zealand.
  • She was the daughter of Frederick William Eyles and Mary Lucy Freeman Davis.
  • At the age of 21 years, Mary Ngaria Birdie Eyles married Cecil William Watson in 1931 in New Zealand.
  • Mary Ngaria Birdie Eyles died on 16 August 1965 in New Zealand.

Michael Eyles

M, b. 13 November 1785

Minnie Eyles

F, b. 1868

Noel Thomas Eyles

M, b. 1921, d. 1 March 1955

Noreen Sarah Eyles

F, b. 23 May 1912, d. 14 November 1984

Child of Noreen Sarah Eyles and George William Hodgson

Olive Grace Eyles

F, b. 12 February 1902, d. 1986

Oliver Charles Eyles

M, b. 21 January 1883, d. 25 August 1960
  • Oliver Charles Eyles was born on 21 January 1883 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of Charles Eyles and Amelia Mytton.
  • At the age of 24 years, 3 months and 14 days, Oliver Charles Eyles married Sarah Beatrice Win on 5 May 1907 in New Zealand.
  • On 22 February 1942,his wife, Sarah Beatrice Win died in New Zealand.
  • Oliver Charles Eyles died on 25 August 1960 in New Zealand at age 77.
  • Oliver was buried in Dovedale Cemetery. He is buried with his wife Sarah.

Child of Oliver Charles Eyles and Sarah Beatrice Win

Robert Edward Eyles

M, b. 21 September 1869, d. 1 May 1937
  • Robert Edward Eyles was born on 21 September 1869 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of William Eyles and Amelia Catherine Thorn.
  • Robert Edward Eyles died on 1 May 1937 in New Zealand at age 67.

Rose Eyles

F, b. 12 August 1868, d. 20 April 1951
  • Rose Eyles was born on 12 August 1868 in New Zealand.
  • She was the daughter of John Eyles and Mary Driscoll.
  • At the age of 25 years, 3 months and 23 days, Rose Eyles married John Edward Morrison on 5 December 1893 in New Zealand.
  • In 1944,her husband, John Edward Morrison died in New Zealand.
  • Rose Eyles died on 20 April 1951 in New Zealand at age 82.

Children of Rose Eyles and John Edward Morrison

Ruby Annie Anona Eyles

F, b. 1914

Selina Pearl Eyles

F, b. 1908, d. 1964

Selina Pearl Eyles, daughter of Charles Eyles and Rose Helen Reid - 1908-1964. Photo thanks to Paul Jones.

Stanley Leslie Nottingham Eyles

M, b. 16 November 1888, d. 8 June 1965
  • Stanley Leslie Nottingham Eyles was born on 16 November 1888 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of Charles Eyles and Amelia Mytton.
  • Stanley Leslie Nottingham Eyles embarked on the "Mokoia" for Glasgow, Scotland on 13 August 1917. He had joined the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, 29th Reinforcements New Zealand Artillery as a gunner. He had been a farmer and listed his mother Mrs A Eyles of Thorpe, Nelson as his next of kin.
  • Stanley Leslie Nottingham Eyles died on 8 June 1965 in New Zealand at age 76.
  • Stanley was buried on 10 June 1965 in Dovedale Cemetery. There is a wooded cross on his grave - also Lester William son of H P E Eyles.

Stillborn Child Eyles

M, b. 1942, d. 1942

Thomas Charles Eyles

M, b. 1891, d. 8 May 1915
  • Thomas Charles Eyles was born in 1891 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of Walter Nugent Eyles and Mary Thomas.
  • Thomas Charles Eyles embarked on the "Tahiti" or" Athenic" from Lyttelton to Suez in Egypt on 16 October 1914. He had enlisted with the Canterbury Infantry Battalion as a Private. He listed his next of kin as Walter N Eyles of St Andrew's Road, Blenheim.
  • Thomas Charles Eyles died on 8 May 1915 in Gallipoli, Turkey. He was killed in action. At the time of his death his parents Walter and Mary were living at St Andrew's, Blenheim. A memorial was erected for him at Twelve Tree Corpse, New Zealand section (Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery is in the Helles area, about 1 kilometre south-west of the village of Krithia.)
    Twelve Tree Corpse Memorial - Turkey. Includes memorial to Thomas Charles Eyles, son of Walter Nugent Eyles and Mary Thomas. Photo from Commonwealth War Grave website.

Verdun Eyles

M, b. 12 October 1916, d. 22 April 1991
  • Verdun Eyles was born on 12 October 1916 in New Zealand.
  • He was the son of Winifred Clara Eyles.
  • Verdun Eyles died on 22 April 1991 in New Zealand at age 74.
  • Verdun was buried on 24 April 1991 in Rotorua Cemetery.